Did you know it’s really easy to make your own dog treats at home? If you can bake a cookie, you can bake a dog treat! Our pals Carli and Presley W. dropped by recently with a fresh batch of homemade dog treats for the pups! The community is so incredibly generous to Special Pals and our adoptable animals. We sure are thankful!
Presley has a big heart for dogs. She told her mommy Carli: “Mom, let’s just give Maggie one so that the dogs who don’t have families can eat the rest of them.” Love!
Would you like to try making your own homemade dog treats? Carli and Presley shared their recipe with us – and it’s just four ingredients!
How to Make Homemade Dog Treats
2 cups flour
1/2 cup peanut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine flour, peanut butter, and eggs in a bowl. Mix with a hand mixer or stand mixer. Add water a little bit at a time until the mix has a dough texture.
- Spread onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or greased (try using bacon grease!)
- Use cookie cutters to make dog treats in fun shapes! Keep spreading the dough and punching out shapes until it is all used up.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Let cool completely before packing in a tight sealed container.
Grain-Free Homemade Dog Treats
If you prefer a grain-free treat for your pups, try this recipe.
1 cup 100% Pure Pumpkin Puree
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1 3/4 cup gluten-free oat flour or coconut flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. and line 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix all ingredients together with a hand mixer or stand mixer. This mixture should be thick like fudge, not sticky like cookie dough.
- Roll the dough in between two sheets of parchment paper until it’s ¼” thick. Use a cookie cutter to make fun shapes (like dog bones or hearts) Reroll the dough and punch out more cookies until the dough is used up.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until firm and dry. Let cool completely, then store in a tightly sealed container in the fridge for up to one week.
Special Pals accepts donations anytime we are open – Wednesday-Thursday 12pm-4pm, Friday 2pm-6pm, and Saturday-Sunday 12pm-4pm. Not big on baking? Check out our wish list for other things that can brighten our day and help out with the care of the animals at Special Pals! We would love for you to drop by and say hello!